Monday, July 22, 2013

beauty review: Bumble and bumble's surf wash shampoo and conditioner

listening to: Boy by Ra Ra Riot

It's summer, which means everyone is obsessed with the beach, not just me - cause mermaids & the ocean are like my life-long thing. And as a long-time devotee to Bumble and bumble.'s Surf Spray (it got me through a BAD hair stage...and helps out when I feel flower-crown-y/hippie-y), I was a little intrigued when they came out with their Surf Foam Wash Shampoo and Cream Rinse Conditioner, and the rest of the freakin' world was ecstatic too. When I ordered my fake tattoo stuffs from Sephora, I got the option to sample the hair set, and of course I said I wanted to. I want to see if the products live up to the hype.
 

Samples post-use. And yes, that is my toilet.
 
So I jumped in the shower and tried the stuff, in my usual way - there wasn't much product at all in the samples - I have relatively short hair, and I used up all of both of them in one wash, and honestly I could've done with more shampoo. I like a big lather, and to play around with the soap bubbles in the shower...while singing along to whatever almost-indie stupid stuff that's on my Spotify. But I dealt with the small lather, rinsed, and applied the conditioner. I usually do my hair routine first in the shower or tub, because then I let the conditioner sit on my mostly-bleached-out head while I wash up for a few minutes, and then rinse before I get out. This fit perfectly with the Surf Cream Rinse Conditioner, cause the instructions said to leave it in for about 2 minutes before rinsing.

The first thing I noticed was the pretty awesome scent. I love ocean-smelling things, and it was really strong in my shower with the Shampoo. The conditioner was less scented/noticeable, but I hoped it would stay in my hair.

The conditioner was pretty thick/creamy, but it rinsed out easily, which I'm a big fan of. I hate rinsing out conditioner for too long, cause I get all hot and waterlogged, and my neck hurts from leaning it back for too long. Plus my hair falls out and it freaks me out, even if my hair is pretty thick and I could stand to lose a few (haha, weight loss joke. Ps...defs gained weight over the weekend. Boo.).

After I got out of the shower, my hair felt pretty normal. I was able to get a brush through it wet with minimal tangles/pulling. It felt decent, but not like super-awesome wet or anything. I did my nails and let it air-dry, like I do when I use the surf spray (slash all the time because blow drying is time-consuming and also would fry my already fried bleached hair). I used no styling products, so that my hair could really reflect just the use of the shampoo & conditioner.

When air-dried, my hair was wavy and felt almost like I had swum in the ocean for a few minutes that day. Almost. I've yet to find any product that recreates that look perfectly. It was also a little voluminous, because of the sea salt I assume was saturated in the products. The scent was there, but not as noticeable as I would've liked - you'd have to use the Surf Spray in addition to the shampoo & conditioner for other people to comment on how awesome your head smells, I think.
Overall, the full-sized bottles are pretty expensive, and I think, useless. I mean, the effect was nice, but literally I can get the same result from just the spray and Suave's Ocean Breeze Shampoo & Conditioner. I really don't understand why someone would pay $50 for less product than less than $5 can get you.


2 bucks of genius.

Result/Recommendations: Splurge on the Surf Spray ($25), and if you're really dedicated to the #oceanlyfe, get some Suave Ocean Breeze products from your local drugstore/CVS.


xoxo, hshb,
candy

No comments:

Post a Comment