Monday, July 22, 2013

nostalgia night: why the weekenders is the greatest show ever



The only show where a ginger was kinda cool.
Hey guys. So we got 2 periodicals up & running so far (Monday Morning & Quotes Thursday), but I thought I'd add another not-so-periodical one: Nostalgia Night!! Every once in a while, after work, I'm going to post something about an awesome topic from my childhood - think early 2000s, mostly. I was in middle school from 2004 to 2007, so around there is stuff I'll talk about. (And yeah, the Nokia Brick Phone will probably be covered sometime, because I got one when I was 13 and my background was a picture of my locker number. Which was, of course, 69. Go Catholic school!)

Today I'm going to pimp out probably the funniest show I've ever seen on Disney Channel: The Weekenders.

Ok, FIRST OF ALL, Wayne Brady sings the theme song. And it's AWESOME, and Wayne Brady is so cool and hip, and funny like he was on Whose LineAnd the kids dance, all of them, in the theme!! Even the boys! Like, can I invite them to a party? I feel like if they were 7 years older, they would be crazy partiers like me and my friends, actually they would probably out-party me, since I got cigarette-wasted on wine coolers last Saturday.


Just wait til Carver convinces you to do Shots O' Clock.

These kids are so mothaeffing cool and funny, and they don't even swear. I mean, in one episode (3.06 Best), Tino wins Most Sarcastic in his school's superlatives. That's how funny he is - sarcastic all the time!! They're hilarious, they always are making jokes & snarky comments - especially at each other! And THAT'S WHAT REAL FRIENDSHIP IS: when you neg each other constantly, egg each other on, but are always actually there for each other. They support each other to the end. It's killer and awesome.



I know that feel, Lor.
And it's almost believable that they're in middle school. Almost - I  mean let's get real, no 12 year old is that cool. However, some stuff they do is very middle-school. In one episode, Tino gets a moonbounce, and gets made fun of because it's "little-kid stuff." I remember when kids worried about if the stuff they did was too little-kid for them, like when I got made fun of for wearing Limited Too clothes in the 7th grade (I know - what the hell! Those clothes were made for kids that age...and they were cute, and they fit! So mean Catholic school girls can SUCK IT). I mean now, all me and my friends want to do is get on a moonbounce and drink. There was actually one at a grad party I went to when I graduated high school. The older you get, the more you realize being embarrassed is dumb and only keeps you from having fun. Because they care (sometimes quite a lot), the characters are believable younger kids.



Who doesn't think like this? It's way depressing being halfway to 40.

The show really tops it off with some great one-liners. I mean, "Everything hurts, even my socks," and "Sideways you kinda look like a lollipop. And I can say that, because sideways, I look like a paintbrush," are just so funny, they'll always be able to make me laugh. If I hadn't already dedicated Quotes Thursday to real-life quotes my friends make, The Weekenders would definitely get in some entries. 

I grew up watching the show in the afterschool block, and I've loved revisiting it over the summer. My advice? If you're in even a slightly bad mood, watch The Weekenders! They'll pick you right up, promise. (Plus Tino's mom gives some actually good life advice, that applies to kids of all ages, without being corny. It's the only show I've found that has relevant life lessons that aren't too sappy, and it delivers them in a smart way. Go early 2000s!)

xoxo, hshb,
candy

No comments:

Post a Comment